Champeix is situated in the Puy de Dome, in between the Sancy Massif and the well known ‘Chaine des Puys’, the famous vulcano chain that is currently nominated to be on the Unesco world heritage list. In the winter you can go skiing and in summer this is a paradise for hikers. Flyers and other tourist information are available at our b&b. For starters, here are a few things you can visit in our region:
Champeix is known for his many gardens and the little castle, located at the top of the village. From our b&b it’s a 15 minute walk to the centre of Champeix and from there a few 10 minutes to the castle. Every friday morning there is a market. Every wednesday evening in July and August there’s a ‘marché nocturne’ with several artisanal stands and animation.
You can click on the images to enlarge them.
This photo is not shot from our house.
Nice city’s and villages to visit:
- Clermont-Ferrand: Capital of the Auvergne region. Nice to visit when you like to combine tourist attractions (e.g. the wonderful cathedral made from volcanic rock) with some shopping.
- Besse: Medieval-renaissance village with pittoresque houses and little shops.
- Murol: Small village known for it’s Château. In summer there is a big market on wednesdays.
- Issoire: You can visit the ‘Tour de l’horloge’ amongst other things. When you climb all the way up you have a beautiful view on the city.
- Saint-Nectaire: well known for it’s delicious cheese and its 12th century Roman church.
- Lac Pavin: Nice to make a stroll around this beautiful clear craterlake with its emerald and turquoise colours.
- Lac Chambon: A lake with a view on the Sancy mountains. There are two small beaches, where besides swimming you could try other watersport activities like pedaling.
- Puy de Dome: The biggest vulcano of the volcano chain. You can climb it on foot or by train. The view is absolutely amazing.
- Vallée de Chaudefour: A natural reserve for the best hike of the region.
- Puy de Sancy: With 1885 meters the highest mountain top of the Central Massif. You can reach it by ski lift or, of course, on foot.
Other nice things to do:
- Vulcania: Interactive educational amusement parc, fun for the whole family.
- Grottes de Jonas: Troglodyte caves with fresco’s.
- Volcan de Lemptégy: Visit the inside of a volcano.
- Horizons: Every year 12 new pieces of art arise in a natural setting.